Saturday, June 9, 2007

my fabulous friends!

i was thinking this morning about my crazy life and my crazy friends. and how i love them so much! they are an answer to prayer.
i remember just a short 5 years ago when i had no friends that lived within 8 hours of me. i had a 6 month old baby girl that i spent all day and all night with. and i had a great husband who worked a lot. i was very lonely. i prayed that God would send me friends. friends that were like the ones i remembered in high school. friends that i loved to spend time with. a few months later i discovered our local mops group. and long story short, i met some friends.
at first they were good acquaintances, and then they were friends. but there was still a void. they were a close group, and i wasn't in the "inner circle". don't get me wrong, they were wonderful people, not like a "click" or anything. anyway, i kept on praying. then one day my prayers were answered. i remember it vividly! i remember janelle pulling me aside and telling me "i need to talk to you in private." i was afraid something was wrong. we went out to my car and sat to talk. that's when she invited me and jason to be a part of "supper club." i was so excited! i remember saying "YES!" it was a wonderful moment in my life. i saw it for what it was, a HUGE answer to my prayers! not only was God giving me friends for life, but he was also giving my husband friends for life. even then i knew that it was the start of something wonderful.
so, fast forward 2 years. we (my supper club friends, their husbands and kids which totals 25!) have had some seriously fun times! and some seriously crazy times! imagine our group descending upon IHOP at 11pm, kids and all! yes, we did that. i think that night it was just 4 couples, each with a 3 or 4 year old child, and a baby. and then imagine if you will, that we let the 3 and 4 year olds sit at their own table! granted, it was sandwiched between the "mommy table" and the "daddy table." all of this was AFTER we spent an exciting evening at an amusement park! you shoulda seen some of the looks we got! or imagine all of us attending "dixie stampede" together. one child said, i don't feel so good, right as the food was set in front of him. just use your imagination as to what happened next! their are more stories than i can type from the last 2 years of supper club, crazy fun i tell ya! just yesterday we had an "impromptu" gathering for lunch at dixies house. 5 mommies, 11 kids. craziness ensued. but i wouldn't trade it for anything! then last night jason and i decided to go out with dixie and jim for dinner and a movie. a very long movie! we arrived back at dixie's house at 1am or so, to find our almost 3 and 3 year old daughters cuddled up together and sound asleep in tessa's bed! it melts my heart to see what wonderful friends our kids are becoming! God has answered my prayers more completely than i imagined. He gave me the desires of my heart, not just what i asked for. Thank you God! we really are a super cool group! and just in case Big Mama reads this and is ever in the area and wants to see how cool we really are, supper club meets the 2nd friday or saturday of every month, well, usually!

2 comments:

Janelle said...

Shelley,

I love you and am so thankful for your friendship. You have been a great addition to 2nd Friday. We have the best memories. I look forward to it all month. Also love the impromtu. Thanks for posting this. We all need to remember how special and rare this really is. God is good.

And, for the record, I was the recipient of that lovely surprise at the Dixie Stampede. Thanks, Richie :)

Love you all!

Alana said...

Hey, the vomit has brought us many a laugh. Besides, Janelle is just a bodily fluid magnet.

Shelley, you are gem. Are we are so thankful to have you as part of our group. Sweet and thoughtful are words that come to mind when I think of you...and FUN!