Friday, January 4, 2008

What we've learned...

We hear at the House O' Craziness believe in learning. Even when school is out of session, we believe that our minds should be continuously challenged. That we should explore new horizons daily. We use every moment of every day to expand our brains and stretch our minds.

Or we watch Dora and Scooby Doo all day long while mommy is curled up in a fetal position rocking and chanting "when does school start?" over and over again.

Anyway. We really have learned some new things over this holiday break, and I thought, being the sharing person that I am, that I would share them with you.

Ellie: My oldest child has an aversion to learning things that she cannot do perfectly the very first time. Fortunately for her, she is naturally smart in most areas, and can often do something very well on her first try. However, when she comes across something that truly challenges her, she...well, freaks out. She screams, she cries, she gets mad, and finally she avoids it all costs. A few months ago when we started kindergarten, I read somewhere that she needed to learn how to tie her shoes. So, I sat her down and showed her how. Then she attempted to tie her laces into a nice neat bow.

KABOOM!

She exploded with anger over the difficulty she was having, and wouldn't hear of trying again. Over the last few months I have tried to sit her down a few times, for a "Learn how to tie your shoes" lesson, but she refused. So, I made a goal. Teach her how to tie her shoes over Christmas break. Yesterday I sat her down, and told her it was time. She balked, of course, but I held strong, and eventually...


WaLa! A (almost) perfectly tied shoe!

Annie: My sweet middle child has a free spirit and a great imagination. She loves to "draw". However, when I try and show her how to really draw something, she shows no interest whatsoever. My goal for her this Christmas break was to learn how to write an A. That's it. Just the first letter of her name! And...


WaLa! A (almost) perfect letter A!

Austin: My sweet baby has an adventurous spirit, to say the least. On Christmas day he accomplished a new task, all on his own...


WaLa! "Look mom! I can climb onto the coffee table now!"

Daddy: Jason learned that when you strain too much to lift something too heavy, in an awkward position, you WILL pull a muscle.

Mommy: I learned today, that on day #14 of a 16 day school "vacation", after we've dealt with cases of Ringworm, had to call Poison Control, Bronchitis, a possibility of a lice outbreak, a husband who likes to be babied when he's in pain, and my never ending cold...my patience runs out. Completely and utterly O-U-T!

2 days left until school starts...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK I missed out on the poison control...do tell.

2 days and counting...who wants to do breakfast this week???

Shelley said...

ME ME ME!

Alana said...

And then there is summer break. Imagine how fun that will be ;-)

Great job, Ellie on the shoe tying. Richie is very similar with wanting to be great at everything with the first try...he gets frustrated as well. Maybe it is a firstborn trait?

Darlene R. said...

So, you get an "amen" from me on the school thing. Ours go back on Tuesday. Our break actually hasn't been terrible, but I am ready for normal again. Whatever that might be!

Celeste said...

I don't know how you did it before Ellie was in school! That is a really hilarious post. See you at ballet or MOPS, I can't wait for more details!