Wednesday, January 9, 2008

And I wonder where she gets it...

MOMMY!!!

I jump. I hear this scream come from my nearly 6 year old...

MOMMY COME HERE QUICK!

I run. I fear the worst. As I arrive in the living room I scan the floor, looking for a hurt brother or a sister, possibly blood...

LOOK! She points...not to an injured sibling...but to the TV.

"I want that for my birthday!"

What? I think, That is what you made me almost have a heart attack for!

I walk away, trying to calm my racing heart, and muttering something about "we'll see dear". I am frustrated. This scene has played over and over again throughout the Holiday season. She literally received Everything she wanted this Christmas. How could she be so selfish, to already want More. She has a bad case of the "I wants". I suppose it was brought on by Christmas, by all the people asking her "What do you want for Christmas" over and over again. I'm tired of it. I just want her to be happy with what she has, because she has so much, she is a very blessed child...

Last night after the kids went to bed, I excitedly picked up my new Pottery Barn magazine...I relaxed in a chair, and began to look for new and exciting decorating ideas, something I love to do. I wouldn't consider myself a frequent shopper of Pottery Barn, but I do occasionally order something, or make it to a store. I love to look, to get ideas, and have been known to take a picture of a display now and then (but you do have to be sneaky, they don't really like that!) Anyway, as I looked I began thinking...

I'd really like some new throw pillows for my new couches that we just got. Something with a punch of color...My birthday's coming up...Oh, but I wanted those picture frame magnet boards too...

Later on, as I was trying unsuccessfully to go to sleep, I started thinking about the house and the yard. I want to paint the living room. I want to hire someone to get the backyard in better shape. I want a big new swing set for the kids. I want to take a vacation soon. I want...

Wham!

Sometimes it's like God slaps me in the face!

Wow. When did I get the case of the "I wants"? Mercy, and I was annoyed with Ellie! I wonder how God feels. Here I sit in my nice house, with my healthy kids, a great husband, lots of beautiful things. I have incredible friends, and live in a wonderful community. I think I've gotten a little off track in my thinking...Again! That's the sad part. It's not the first time I've caught myself being selfish. Don't get me wrong, I think it's OK to want things. To strive for things. I've posted something like this before...I know God wants us to be happy. Just like we want our kids to be happy. I think it's when we become discontent with out lives, our very blessed lives, that the sin creeps in.

So I prayed, and I thanked God for my incredible blessings, and asked Him to clear my heart of discontent. It's a continuous lesson, for me...and my kids.

9 comments:

Carissa said...

i can relate. i think we all can. what a great post. and what a great reminder for me. thanks girl!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post!

And just for the record, I enjoy going to YOUR house for decorating ideas. :) You do a GREAT job!

Janelle said...

Beautifully written! Parenting our kids in the ultimate word picture of our relationship with God. Thankfully He gently reminds us that we are really no different than our little ones. I hope I extend the same grace to mine that He does to me.

Great post, Shelley!

Renee said...

Ahhh, that nasty little discontentment seed! It's stunning how fast it grows!

I say this because I can very much relate to your post. Right down to the Pottery Barn magazine. I just got mine too, and love to daydream about a house that looks like one of their pages. While it's fun to daydream, it does breed discontentment, and before I know it, I'm not happy with what I have. It's a vicious circle.

I am learning to be thankful all day long. It doesn't come natural, but it changes my attitude. It's hard to be discontent when you're busy thanking God! This is something I have to tell myself 50 times a day.

Great post Shelley!

Earen said...

Don't we just love how the Lord uses our kids to teach us things all the time!! I've been in those shoes before and then God opens my own eyes. Great post & a reminder to me of what God has been working on in my own heart.

Alana said...

Contentment is a huge struggle for me, and not just with material things.

It is crazy how many times, I correct a behavior in one of my children only to realize they picked it up from me.

A lesson in humility for sure.

Great post, Shel!

Teresa said...

It's like we talked about at MOPS...the "don't hit" as you slap their hand for doing so...we've all had these teachable moments that the Lord gives us. I'm so glad God uses our children to minister to us.

Great post and thanks for the dose of WHAM! I needed that!

Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! I'm not sure I would have even made that connection.

Wonderful post!

Claire Kennedy said...

I have so enjoyed your lovely blog.