Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Sometimes all it takes is a little caffeine...

I hate early mornings.

So does Ellie.

She's been begging me to take her to school for a few days now.

Usually it's daddy's job.

Thank God for Daddy!

I usually get up and help them get out the door...

then go back to bed.

But this morning, I wavered. I gave in to her pleas, and let the daddy sleep in. I drove her to school, and then headed toward home.

Toward two more children, now wide awake.

Toward the dishes and the laundry.

Toward the meal-making and the chaos-managing.

And then, as if it had a mind of its own, my car steered its way into Starbucks.

Seriously!

And then, as I realized where my car was taking me, I saw a familiar and friendly face.

I parked next to Michelle, and we sat, in the comfort of our own cars, and talked.

Without interruption.

Without little voices in the background.

Without fights and screams to distract us.

For 30 minutes.

It was nice. Really nice.

Then I followed her through the drive-thru, and we went our respective ways.

She to teach pre-school, me to my own pre-schoolers.

I arrived home to the happy cries of MOMMY'S HOME!

I smiled.

I felt good.

I felt like I could handle my day.

All thanks to an unexpected visit with a friend/sister-in-law,

and a little caffeine!

13 comments:

Sarah Markley said...

I totally love this. My car often takes me where I am not intending - usually to frozen yogurt. =)

Anonymous said...

i like the new blog look...very spring-like! love you, lauren
ps. will started nursing school today!!

Carissa said...

i love that story! it put a smile on my face! that is just plain sweet! so glad ya'll have each other!

Janelle said...

That is awesome! I love that you had some Girl-Time in the midst of your hectic life.

You might just start taking all the time. You can actually get grocies ALL BY YOURSELF, too!

Alana said...

What a pleasant surprise! Hope it helped get you through the rest of the day!

michelle said...

I'm glad we meet up this morning! As I drove off, I thought next time we should go in and have a comfy seat while visiting!

Pam said...

Ellie knew the whole time why you should take her to school, didn't she? I'm glad you had some girl time. It is always refreshing to spend time with friends.

Anonymous said...

I am sooo needing a niight like that soon.

We need to plan a weekend girls night!

Anonymous said...

and that's why lane works at a coffee shop....i need it ALL the time!! hehe ;-)

~laney

Earen said...

Wow, an early morning turned into a blessing! Sounds lovely & I love Starbucks!

Always Faith said...

oh, that sounds sooooo heavenly....all of it....well, except the getting up early part...hahaha.

Darlene R. said...

It's amazing what just a few minutes with a friend can do for you.

I hope your day went smoothly!

Teresa said...

Glad you had a wonderful unexpected AM meeting! Sounds like it was a "divine appointment" if you ask me!

It's nice to be missed by your kiddos and to hear them be SO excited for you to be HOME!