Monday, November 19, 2007

My trip to Tulsa. Part 1

On Friday, I left for a one-night-getaway to the great city of Tulsa. As I drove away I was SO excited to meet my two beautiful cousins for a day and a half of shopping, talking, eating, sleeping (important when you have 3 young kids!), and of course playing Nertz! I was SO excited, in fact, that I didn't even take time out to drive through the ATM. Oh well, I thought, I'm probably OK, I mean, everybody takes a card now. Right? So, off I drove.

Remember that.

As I was driving, and singing at the Top of my Lungs to Adult music, I thought...

How long has it been since I did this? How long since I hit the road by myself, for a trip...Well...No, surely not...Really?

The answer to my own question was...

NEVER!

It's embarrasing to admit, but after a phone call to my hubby to confirm my fear, I realized it was true! I had never in my life been further than 40 miles by myself.

Oh my.

I'm 30 years old.

That's just Sad.

Don't get me wrong, I've traveled a lot. It's just always been with other people. My parents, my church youth group, high school friends, college friends, my hubby, or my kids.

Never by myself.

I did finally remember that I did drive from St. Louis to Kentucky by myself one time...but I was part of a caravan of cars and a moving truck (that got in the middle of a funeral procession by accident, I'll blog about that some other time!) But I don't really think that counts, as I was a part of a Caravan.

Goodness! Anyway, so now I was even more excited, seeing as this was my first trip Alone, and off I drove to (sing it with me...) Oklahoma!

As I crossed the state line, I got a little shiver of excitement, I had a big silly grin on my face, and I was happily talking away on my cell phone to my dear sister-in-law, and then I saw it...

a sign...

No, not that kind of sign, a Real sign, that read...

Pay Toll Ahead.

My smile dissapeared as I remembered...

I have No Cash...

to be continued...

8 comments:

Celeste said...

Oh no!!

Anonymous said...

i know where this one is going...!
-One of your beautiful cousins

I'm Tara. said...

Dun, dun, dunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. You can't leave us hanging!! Did they take your credit card??? :) Hope you had a great visit -- good for you for making it a first!!

Janelle said...

Skip and I got in a massive wreck at that same toll booth. A van hit us from behind while we were standing still. He was driving about 50mph. AWFUL.

Can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip.

How did you get out of this pickle?

Anonymous said...

the only thing worse than that would be sitting at that same toll booth for um let's see 8 hours in a massive post Thanksgiving traffic jam on your way back to college.

So will you be expecting the ticket/bill in the mail anyday now?

Pam said...

Noooooooooo! What happened? Hurry and tell us, I can't stand it!

Darlene R. said...

Now that was just cruel! You can't leave us hanging like that! Tell us "The Rest of the Story" --please.

Teresa said...

OH Shelley! I'm laughing in anticipation!