Thursday, November 29, 2007

8 Random, yet quite Interesting, facts...

Alana did this Meme, and since my brain is not being very creative on its own today, I decided to try it. I've seen others do this, and I've enjoyed learning more about people, so here I go!

8 random facts about me:

1) I played the clarinet in junior high, high school, and college. My college band was over 300 members! We were awesome too.

2) There are days that I just want to close myself up in my house, and pretend the rest of the world doesn't exist. I'm not completely sure why, but those days have become more and more frequent lately. I used to crave busyness, now I crave peacefulness.

3) I have been addicted to TV since I was a child. It's almost always on at my house.

4) Right now I can hear things crashing in the playroom. I'm not going to look yet.

5) I am an only child, but I have 2 beautiful cousins, who I'm very close with. They are like sisters to me.

6) I love to sing. If you see me in my car, especially by myself, I'll probably be belting out something. At times I pretend I'm the next American Idol. (I love that show!)

7) I'm not a big jewelry person. I love my wedding ring, and I love earrings, but other than that, I don't get very excited about jewelry. I occasionally wear a necklace, but honestly, they bug me.

Forgive me, but my next "fact" kind of turned into a post of it's own! I just remembered this after my last "fact", and I think it's a pretty neat story!

8) I lost my wedding ring once. I was pregnant with Austin, and my fingers would swell at night. Normally I sleep with my ring on, but one night I took it off in the middle of the night, because of the swelling, and the next morning I forgot to put it on. I noticed later that day that I wasn't wearing it, and I went to get it.

It was gone.

Ellie was staying at my mom's, so I knew she hadn't done anything with it. And then I vaguely remembered Annie playing by my nightstand that morning. And then I remembered that just after that, I found her in Ellie's room, by the vent.

She was 19 months old, just a tiny thing, and I remembered that she kept pointing at the vent saying Uh-Oh. So obviously, you assume my ring was down that vent. However, uh-oh was Annie's favorite word at that time, she said it all the time! So I didn't put much hope in that. But of course I checked the vent. When I reached down inside, all I found was Barbie shoes and pennies. I searched the house for 2 days, and didn't find it. I went back to the vent again, and didn't find it.

I went to MOPS, the next day, and asked my small group to pray about it. I realized that it was just an object, but an object with so much meaning. I had prayed and prayed that God would help me find my ring. The afternoon after MOPS, I felt a pull to look in the vent again. I argued with God that I had already looked there 2 times!, But the feeling wouldn't go away that I needed to look there again. So, I went back to the vent, took the cover off, and reached in.

Nothing.

God please, Help Me!

Then an idea occurred to me, to reach further into the vent, I could twist my arm backwards. It hurt, but I was able to reach another inch or so, and then I felt something...

MY RING!

I know God led me to reach in there one more time. I learned a lesson that day, God wants to help us All the time, even with the little stuff.

Thank you God!

Well, there you go! If you want to do this little meme, consider yourself tagged. If not, that's OK too. I'm not a pushy person!

7 comments:

Carissa said...

love that story. don't you just love that NUDGING from the Lord. and then after the fact when you see WHY. it is so cool! so glad you found that ring in the process! great story!

Janelle said...

I love your ring story.

It teaches me that God really does care about us and our little things.

Great list!!

Alana said...

I remember that happening! I'm not sure I ever heard all of the details, though. Very cool! God is good.

Did you ever look to see what went crash?

Shelley said...

Yes Alana, the "Crash" was the Mega-Saucer being turned upside down.

Thankfully no one was IN it! :)

Kimmy said...

I love your final thing. God IS so good!

It's not small stuff if it is truly important to us! Thank God He knows the difference!

Glad you joined in with the 8 things meme!

Pam said...

I love how the stories of each of our lives have such GREAT lessons for all of us. So glad you shared the details. God is truly amazing.

Renee said...

This was great. I really like your ring story, too. Those moments are just so...cool. Remembering that God cares about those details too.

I too am a 'peaceful' craver. I have never craved busyness, though. I like the peace and solitude of a non busy life. Not that I'm a hermit or anything...I get out and do stuff, and so do my girls. I just prefer not to be on the go all the time. My favorite night is hanging out at home.

This was fun!