Monday, March 31, 2008

I can hear my mama's voice...

I am a procrastinator.

It's not something I am proud of, but it's true.

When I was younger, my mom would assign me certain chores to do. At the time she was working as an x-ray tech, and it was just she and I in our home. When I arrived home from school, I was supposed to call her at work to check in, and then she'd give me my assignment for the afternoon. Usually it was unloading the dishwasher, or dusting the living room. Something simple, but something that would help her. Of course, I would watch TV and get distracted, and I would lose track of time, and before I knew it, it was almost time for mom to be home. I remember RACING to get the dishes done, or the laundry folded. I actually remember loading the dishwasher as she was pulling in the driveway, rushing to finish, and then RUNNING into the living room to act as if I was just relaxing, like the dishes had been done for hours. I know there were times I got caught, and times I completely forgot. I remember her frustration at my procrastination. I remember the lectures about not waiting until the last minute...

Fast forward to adulthood. I am still a procrastinator at times. Not exactly like when I was a kid, but similar. I am often, okay usually, late for things. I always think I have more time than I do, or I think I can get more done than I really can in five minutes. I have a terrible sense of time, and I'm easily distracted. My poor friends and family have rescued me many a time when I've been running late to pick up Ellie from school! I am trying to be more on time, I feel like I've done an okay job over the last two weeks or so. I am a work in progress!

A few weeks ago I decided to participate in a large consignment sale. I knew what I needed to do...Sort through the kids out-grown clothing, organize and prepare, print and attach tags...I knew I needed to get a head start, as I have LOTS of stuff, but did I do it...

NO.

And now here I am, 2 days before the deadline, just starting the process! AAAGGGHHH! I wonder if I'll ever learn!

9 comments:

Janelle said...

So the cure for working...er, I mean stalling is GIRL'S GAME NIGHT!! Hope you aren't trapped under all the clothes and can still come!

Let me see baby boy stuff...please.

Jamie said...

I am a procrastinator too. I like to say I work better under pressure.

Anonymous said...

you can do it.


Just think...I think i can, i think i can, i think i can.

And I love ya just the way you are!

Celeste said...

I am still blown away that we were both early for ballet last week! Go us!

Carissa said...

i think the best things get done at THE LAST MINUTE!!!!

Josh and Lane Whitlock said...

...and you're on here blogging?!?! GET TO WORK MISSY!!!

haha I know, I'm one to talk! You'll get it done, don't you worry. And from a self proclaimed sister procrastinator, it's okay if you don't get it done tomorrow...you still have a day left! hahaha

Anonymous said...

I'm the exact same way. I like to say I work best under pressure, but I don't. It makes me a grumpy madwoman!

Alana said...

I'm a champion procrastinator, so I'd be right there with you if I hadn't procrastinated even thinking about doing the consignment sale ;-)

You are still saving me a few cute girl things, right? Just in case?

Sarah Markley said...

The funny thing is...I have a pretty good sense of time...usually on time. BUT I procrastinate too! Totally. I hear you....=)