Sunday, March 16, 2008

Livin' the Dream

Yesterday morning it came to me.

I'm living my dream.

You may think, WOW! What were you doing that was SO great!

I was cleaning daddy's famous "cheesy eggs" off the dining room floor.

OK, so cleaning cheesy eggs wasn't exactly my dream...or was it?

When I was a teenager I lacked a bit of direction in my life. I thought of all sorts of things I wanted to "be", but none really stuck. All I ever really wanted to do, was be a Mom.

I've been naming my future children for years. At one time I wanted twin girls, and their names would be Arianna and Adrianna. I always liked the names Nathaniel and Nicholas for boys. Interesting, none of our kids are named those! When Jason and I had been dating for a couple of months, I told him I wanted five kids. Yep, five! It's amazing he didn't run! At some point I decided five might be a bit many, and decided on three. I even had my great-grandmother make three baby quilts for my future children. I figured if I had more than three, that I could make the others! I can tell you right now, if I have any more kids, I won't be making any baby quilts!

I dreamed of a great husband, a nice house, a nice big SUV, and three kids.

I am living my dream.

Granted, the house in my dreams never got dirty, and the SUV didn't guzzle gas. The husband of my dreams never argued with me, and we had three perfect children.

The reality of my dream is a bit different than what I thought it would be, that's for sure! I am happy, blessed, crazed and exhausted. My six year old just opened six packages of fruit snacks, my baby is crying, I'm not sure what my three year old is doing, and my husband is ripping wallpaper off the walls...

Like I said, I'm livin' my dream!

11 comments:

Alana said...

Really? If baby 4 comes you wouldn't find some time to sew a quilt? I can't imagine why.

The house of my dreams never got dirty either. In fact, I never imagine in my WILDEST dreams that it would get it as dirty as it does.

Oh, and it is a good thing as a teenager you didn't babysit for Richie, Will, Baron, and Tess. Otherwise your dream might have been revised a bit ;-)

Earen said...

Way to have just a wonderful perspective on things & see the blessings that are right in front of our eyes.

Darlene R. said...

Way to look at your treasure! Have fun livin' your dream.

Janelle said...

I thought the very same thing yesterday (or was it today? I don't remember.) But I was thanking God for giving me the desires of my heart. All I ever wanted was to marry Skip and have babies. Voila!

Life is good!

Pam said...

Amen! God is good!

Jamie said...

shelley, I love your post. I always wanted to be a mom. I am so thankful to be livin' my dream too. Thanks for reminding me.

Anonymous said...

Just a few short hours ago down here in the Lone Star State, I commented on how blessed we are.

I love it.

Carissa said...

good for you shelley! soak in the blessings!!!

Fran said...

Oh I LOVE THIS!! Yes...we are all living the dream...just looks a little different than we thought!

Have a great week!
Blessings and hugs~
Fran

kittyhox said...

I also always wanted to be a Mama. I even "shadowed" a SAHM in high school, for career week.

I still want five little ones, but I currently just have the one (Nicholas). So we'll see. My husband wants three or four.

Anyway, I totally related to your post because I also feel like I really am living the dream. Even if it is a LOT messier and more labor intensive than I anticipated. (I also imagined that I'd have a housekeeper and nanny, but alas, that was not to be.)

Sarah Markley said...

You are so right! Blessings are right here; right in front of me! I love it. Well said.