Thursday, March 27, 2008

I can already smell the Lysol...

We had a visitor yesterday. Her name was Tina, and she is a housekeeper. She was stopping by to do a walk through and give us an estimate. I haven't had a housekeeper in five months, so needless to say, I was just a bit excited. However, I was still questioning the practicality of hiring someone to clean for me. I mean, I don't have a job, I can clean my own house, right?

Well, kinda.

I have been cleaning my own house this past five months. Since I let the Not-that-Great housekeeper go, we've managed to maintain a clean "looking" home. Through Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Through Super Bowl parties and other various get-togethers. We have a lot of fun here, and I love to have people over. But the cleaning? It is killing me! I feel like I've done an okay job, not great, but okay. But I am TIRED people!

So, back to yesterday. I was still wondering if I should really do this, when Tina arrived at 3:05pm. Just before her arrival, Austin had grabbed a drink off the kitchen counter, and poured it all over his pants. I had just removed the wet pants when the doorbell rang.

3:05: I answered the door, holding a pants-less baby, and began the walk-through. I introduced her to the girls, who were happily playing with play-doh in the dining room,(to keep them busy!) and we started talking.

3:08: I excuse myself to quiet the girls who are now arguing over their new play-doh.

3:11: I excuse myself again, this time to Warn the girls.

3:15: I smell something. It's Austin. I put him down.

3:18: I continue the walk-through despite the yelling coming from the dining room.

3:20: I can't take the yelling, and go to separate the girls. When I arrive I realize that that they're yelling because Austin has climbed onto the dining room table, and is emptying the vases of their decorative balls, and throwing them around the room.

3:22: I excuse myself again, due to more yelling. This time I separate the girls.

3:23: The girls un-separate themselves.

3:25: Having been given "one last chance" the girls are again playing quietly, and I return to Tina.

3:30: Tina says she'll call me tomorrow with her estimate.

3:35: I remember the frozen food I was putting away, just before Austin poured water on his pants.

3:40: I finally change Austin's dirty diaper, and put some pants on him.

3:41: Austin reaches the water lever on the door of the fridge, and soaks himself, the floor, and the front of the fridge.

3:45: I change Austin again.

Okay, so at about this point, I decide that I really do want this housekeeper. And I really hope we haven't scared her off.

Thankfully she called back. I am not kidding when I tell you that when I heard my cell phone ring, I RAN to answer it! She's coming on Saturday! She costs quite a bit more than my last lady, but she also plans on being here for AT LEAST four hours, which is double what the last lady was here for. AND her 18 year old daughter works with her.

I've decided that even if I can only have her once a month, I'll be happy. And maybe next year, when Annie's in pre-school some, and Austin is (hopefully!) more manageable, I'll be able to clean my own home again. For now I have peace in the knowledge that even my frugal husband realizes we need this, and that now hopefully I can go back to being slightly less stressed out!

12 comments:

Carissa said...

SO excited for you about the housekeeper!!! that is WONDERFUL! and your minute to minute run down was a crack up! hey...excited to see you monday!!! : )

Earen said...

What a blessing! I would really like a personal chef. I would tend to clean the house to get it looking decent for the cleaner! HA! Enjoy! Oh, & the pictures of your newly painted house are wonderful!

Celeste said...

Dude, you need it! I barely manage with just two children, and a smaller house! You guys are way too active (being out and about for school, classes, etc), and it is insanely hard to keep up with a house when you are always on the go.

Janelle said...

Serenity now! I loved your play by play. I could feel the energy in your busy home. Yes, you do need Tina right now. God bless her.

dawn said...

Good for you, girl. Keep her as long as you can.

Oh, to have a housekeeper. That is a dream for me!

Jamie said...

You lucky girl. I don't think I could talk Josh into it at this point, especially since I have talked him into me not working next year when both girls will be in school. I guess I will have time to clean then. Do you think my bathrooms can wait until August?

Anonymous said...

Oh a housekeeper is right up there on my list right along with a personal chaffuer.

did i spell that right?

maybe a personal typer to, one that can type what I say as I lay on the bed with a cherry limeade slushy in one hand and the remote control in the next....oh to dream.

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I think we're a little while away from needing a housekeeper, but your title is making me think I should hire someone to come over and spray Lysol, so I at least get the illusion of clean!

Alana said...

Oh, I had that for a short while when I was pregnant with Will and it was so wonderful. I daydream about it all the time (really), but it is just not in the budget. I'm glad you're getting some help, though! Would she consider a group rate?

Always Faith said...

LOL....i can only dream...haha. i wonder if I could convince my hubby to pay ME to be our housekeeper once I'm staying home!...LOL!!! Whats the going rate for lousy housekeepers?? (so I can let him know how much to pay me, of course!! HAHA) ROFL!

Fran said...

You love every minute that woman is there!!! Thats awesome! May that wonderful clean smell linger for a very long time!!

Sarah Markley said...

oh yes. we just got housecleaners again...not as often as we need it but i know what you mean. it takes me a week to clean my own house (interrupted and otherwise engaged) so after 18 months of cleaning it myself, we got someone to do it for us. we call them the mollys (molly maid) and they come every other wednesday. glorious.