Monday, March 3, 2008

I need to go smell Annie's hair...

We've enjoyed three beautiful, sun-shiny days. The taste of spring, even summer, was on my lips.

Yesterday was a near perfect day. After church we had a nice, albeit busy, lunch with part of our family. The girls had so much fun sitting at their own table and telling the waitress what they wanted. They're growing up so quickly. I truly hope that they'll always be great friends. They're hilarious to watch. Niece Olivia is almost 8, and she is such a sweet care taker of our Annie, now 3 1/2. These girls share a similar personality that just oozes sweetness. Ellie and our niece Elaina are only six months apart, with Ellie being the older of the two. They share several personality traits as well. They both like to be "in charge", and neither of them likes to back down! Those two have had their battles, but as they've grown up, they seem to be figuring each other out. They sat next to each other at lunch, and even managed to share crayons!

Miracles never cease!

After lunch we headed home, until daddy remembered the frozen custard place we had talked about at lunch. After a debate over "should we?" that lasted, oh, about two seconds, we turned the car around and headed back. As we neared the ice cream place I laughed out loud. There sat our family we'd just left, in the parking lot! Great minds think alike!

Actually, it reminded me of a few trips to Ritters, the frozen custard place in Kentucky where the fam used to live. Every time we'd visit, we'd get frozen custard at least a couple of nights while we were there! We'd go to Ritters, eat our treats, head back to the house and put the kids to bed, then pull out the games. It was a sad, sad day when Ritters closed down.

After we enjoyed delicious frozen custard, we came home and played outside. Daddy got his four-wheeler out, and took his girls for some rides. I actually stayed outside too, instead of rushing inside to clean, or do laundry. During Ellie's rides, Annie and I talked. She is such a darling. I absolutely adore her age right now. She is fun and witty, cute and sweet. She is my breath of fresh air every day. I snapped a few pics of her in her Easter sundress. The first is her sweet face. The second is while she was dancing in the sunshine.




She is MY sunshine.

Speaking of sunshine...it's gone. I knew it was going away. Even though the day was so beautiful yesterday, I could feel the cold front coming.


You can almost see it. The wind was changing, picking up speed. I wanted to put my arms in the air and push the cold front back. I wanted to scream NO at the yucky weather that was headed our way. Futile, of course. Overnight the rains came, and the temperature dropped. Yesterday afternoon it was 75 degrees. Now it's 38, and dropping.

Our forecast today consists of ice, then snow. By tomorrow we'll probably have several inches of something on the ground. I'd be willing to bet that we don't have school tomorrow. Or Wednesday, which just happens to be my birthday. That will make 10 days of school we've missed this year. Heck, we may even dismiss early today.

Yippee.

Will it ever end???

Well, I'm off to face my day. I need to go to the grocery store, with everyone else that's stocking up for the days ahead.

But first I need to go smell Annie's hair before her bath. It still smells like sunshine.

It gives me hope.

Note: It didn't snow. Or ice. Not one inch. Amazing! We were forecasted for 7-12 inches of snow and ...Nada! It seems there was a break in the band of heavy snow, right where my little town is. Wild. Anyway, I was thankful for no more snow days!


13 comments:

Jamie said...

Shelley,
I am aching for the lovely weather of yesterday too. I feel about and dreary as it looks outside. Keep up hope that Spring will come eventually.

Carissa said...

great post shelley! love those pictures!!! and happy birthday!!! how fun! hope you are doing LOTS of celebrating!!!!

Anonymous said...

Yummy custard, that would have been good yesterday!

Love it.

Teresa said...

Totally got tears in my eyes when I read the last 3 sentences of your post. Chills and tears. Don't know why, but those words just touched my heart!

Pam said...

Yesterday was beautiful. I'm glad you got to spend it having fun instead of cleaning and doing laundry. Annie is so precious in those pictures.

michelle said...

We had a fun lunch with you also! We had a good laugh when we saw you pulling in to get frozen custard! :) We had the same debate but I had to have a thin mint concrete before they were gone for the season! I can almost smell the sunshine from your pictures! I'm so ready for it to come back!

Always Faith said...

cute...i am loving the warm weather, too...although it's making me somewhat crazy that the temperature is so fluctuating....LOL. I'm just ready for spring and warm weather to stick around for awhile. *Grin*

Anonymous said...

I came by to say thanks for visiting my blog. We had the same weather situation. Beautiful this weekend, and now it is freezing and raining. I can't wait for spring to come and stay!

My parents lived in Beavercreek, Ohio for a few years, and they had a Ritters there. They loved it!

Janelle said...

I love the twirling picture. So Annie!

Great post. One of your best!

Aren't you glad to see the sun today instead of 12" of snow? I am.

Alana said...

What a fun Sunday! We have Ritter's in my hometown. It is good!!

Fran said...

Hey Shelley!!
I have seen your precious blog name all over the place and what a treat to come over and see just how cute you are in "real life!"

Our weekend was just as gorgeous and I could relate to everything you said...I just wanted to bottle it up and pull it out today. Brrrrrr.

And, I loved the part of smelling the sunshine in your daughter's hair! They are the real sunshine aren't they? She is beautiful.
I hope you had some sunshine despite the gross weather today.

Hugs~
Fran
TN

Darlene R. said...

Unlike you, we got the ice and snow...yuck!

I want warmth!!! :)

Darlene R. said...

Happy Birthday to you!