Thursday, March 20, 2008

Me and my big ideas...

I just read my last post, and this is what I thought...
HA!

Was that me? Was I so chipper just a few short days ago?

Because now...not so much.

I know, I know, I'm still livin' my dream, it's just been VERY rooted in reality the last few days. And since I'm all about keepin' it real, I thought I'd share.

I'm a fairly positive person. A "glass half full", "lemonade out of lemons" kind of girl. And sometimes I get these crazy, harebrained ideas in my head, and think...Why sure we can do that! Let's paint the living room, the kitchen, the breakfast room, and two hallways! Sure the kids are all here since it's spring break, but we can do it!

And before you know it, we've bought five gallons of yellow paint.

About half way through the first room, Reality came knocking.

And I got cranky.

Really cranky.

And tired.

Really tired.

I have not been a very pleasant person to be around, or so my darling hubby says. I tend to forget how much work it is to paint. I forget about all the prep work, the mess, the cleaning of the brushes. I forget that as soon as the girls realize what we're doing, that we'll here "Can I paint?!" about two thousand times. I forget that I don't do so well when my house gets messy, and during a painting session, it gets really messy. I forget that we have a very active 18 month old, who doesn't understand the concept of Wet Paint. My normally chipper self is replaced with a seriously stressed out, loud, annoying and cranky lady, who no one likes. Especially me.

And so, last night after the kids were asleep, I collapsed on the couch. My hubby was a bit surprised, since the painting wasn't done, but I just couldn't go on. He quickly agreed to a night off though, since he's been working twice as hard as me, and was exhausted too. As we watched Tuesday's episode of American Idol, I felt my mind relax some, and my tenseness fade away. We didn't speak for an hour, which is odd, because normally we're quite into discussing each contestant. I think we were both winding down. I have to say a big Thank You to him, for all his hard work on his two "vacation" days, for all of his calmness with the kids and me, and for putting up with my bad attitude.

Thank you honey, I love you!

And me?

Well, today is a new day. I'm not quite where I was with my last post, but I'm also not nearly as cranky as I was yesterday. We're off to the Zoo today, for some much needed out-of-the-house time. The kids will be thrilled, and so will I, because we're going with this friend and this friend, and that's a sure way to make me feel a whole lot better!

Oh, and no, the painting isn't done, but it'll get there. I'd say we're about half way there. I'll leave you with this pic of a couple of "helpers" that stopped by during a weak moment. They're willing and available for any painting project, just give us a call! Oh, and sorry about my poor photography skills. I was shaking from the stress at this point!


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

YEAH FOR PAINTING!!! Even though it's a tough job, I'm glad you're getting it done....since you've talked about doing it for 3 years now! If you need any help, don't hesitate, just call Diane! hahahaha! Good luck and hope the zoo de-stresses you! LOVE YOU!

~Laney-lou

Earen said...

Ok, you're just too cute! Way to tackle the painting project. I so want to paint my kitchen & even do my cupboards, but like you're feeling I remember the huge project it was the first we took it on & the mess....I too just don't function well when my house is a mess. Glad that you are having some down time & enjoying a zoo day!! Show us pictures of the finished result! It looks great so far!

Carissa said...

what part of "painting" and "kids home on spring break" go together? i mean, i know i don't have any kids, but still, that does not seem like a winning combo! : )

Janelle said...

How did you fail to mention painting in all our time together today? I love your optimism and your Can-DO attitude.

I had a blast with you and Alana today. We needed a break from housework too. It was nice to get some sunshine and fresh air.

Have fun getting your work done.

As for Idol on Tuesday, SNOOZE!! Two weeks of the Beatles, YAWN. I can see why you and Jason didn't get too excited about it.

Alana said...

Did the zoo de-stress you? It was a fun day. Hopefully you'll be able to make some progress on the painting while your girls are at your Moms!

I'm liking the color!

Anonymous said...

Wow...I am deeply offended.

I mean you CHOSE painting AND kids at home over a 2 day jaunt to ST. Louie.

Are you crazy?

We thought about you guys many times today, while we were at THE ZOO in ST. Louis. Missed ya.

Josh and Lane Whitlock said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jamie said...

Shelley,
I am proud that you took on such a task with 3 kids at home. I have a hard time folding a load of laundry with one at home. She is usally asking for "Mom and Daughter" time. How do you tell that No?

michelle said...

I can't wait to see your new painted walls! We have two more helpers to add to the mix! They love to paint anything! Sorry we had to skip on the zoo fun!

Pam said...

Wow... you are one brave woman!

Teresa said...

I'm doing the Wayne and Garth "We're not worthy! We're not worthy!" thing to you right now! I'm so impressed that you would even THINK about doing this...let alone DOING it! You are a rare breed! :) I'm with Jamie...I can't even get laundry folded with mine!