Thursday, April 3, 2008

A relaxing day...

It's 11:32 am, and our playroom, it's destroyed.

We're home today, and I'm thrilled with that, really I am. The past six days have WORN ME OUT. However, HOME with my sweet boy Austin, isn't exactly relaxing. In a feeble attempt at keeping the rest of the house intact, I've been pulling out practically every toy we have, in hopes that Austin might be distracted by something.

AUSTIN LOOK, BLOCKS! LOOK, PLAY KITCHEN! LOOK, T-BALL SET! LOOK, PLAY PIANO! LOOK, BOUNCING ZEBRA! LOOK, ROCKING HORSE! LOOK, BIKE!

Yeah, it hasn't really worked. Instead it's been...

AUSTIN NO, NO HITTING ANNIE WITH THE BAT! NO PLAYING WITH THE WATER LEVER ON THE FRIDGE! NO CLIMBING ON TOP OF THE TABLES! NO THROWING ANNIE'S TEA SET! NO PULLING SCISSORS OFF THE COUNTER! NO UNLOADING THE SILVERWARE DRAWER!

Seriously, this kid is CRAZY! Some of my dear friends witnessed his antics at Panera a few days ago. After keeping him contained in his high chair for as long as I could, I let him down to play with the "big" kids at a long booth in a section we had all to ourselves. He was on top of the table before I could blink, with both hands in poor Loulabelle's soup! When my friends finally stopped laughing and came to my rescue, we cleaned off the tables and off he went! Under the table, onto the booth, on top of the table, back to the booth, BOOM to the floor, back up to the booth...Whew!

As busy as he is, even I was surprised on Easter, when we were met at the nursery door at Church and told...

We can't handle him today. It's going to be busy enough since it's Easter, and we just can't have him in here!

Now, I am the FIRST to admit that YES, he is BUSY! Busy, but not difficult, or mean, or demanding, or fussy. So when we were told that, I was surprised. They ended up moving him to the next class up, with some kids that were a little older that day, and he's been there ever since. I do have to say that it's a good thing we're not easily offended, because a lot parents would have been hurt by what that nursery worker told us. We actually know this couple, who have no children, and realize that they just don't understand. They don't understand that it's okay if he climbs on top of the fisher price picnic table. Even if he did fall off, it's only a foot from the floor! I mean, we're talking about a kid who's fallen from shopping carts, highchairs, tables, strollers and cribs, and has never had more than a few bumps and scrapes! (Please don't judge me, this boy is like Houdini when it comes to navigating his way out of straps and harnesses! And he's FAST!)

I guess I should have known early on...When he was a mere two months old, he managed to fall into the basket part underneath the stroller...have I told you that story? No? Well, we'll save that for next time.

So, like I said, I am glad to be home today. It's cool and rainy outside, and it's just nice to be home. And I'm glad Austin's had some serious play time today, (even if the house is destroyed!) instead of being strapped into something all day while we're on the go. Most of all I'm glad it's almost nap time!

9 comments:

Carissa said...

girl...when nap time hits...i think you deserve one more than austin!!! : )

Celeste said...

Oh my heavens, so true! And boys try things girls would never try! It's is crazy. That whole nature vs. nurture thing with genders are poop. Boy show their masculine traits from the get-go.

Janelle said...

I see now why he is always securely strapped into the stroller at the Y. I have been laughing about the soup ever since. I have never seen a more busy boy!

Here's to little boys!

Darlene R. said...

That's a boy for ya! In everything except what he's supposed to be in.

Naptime is a good time!

Anonymous said...

You are a strong and patient woman and that is just why you were given that sweet boy.


Where was i for the panera fiasco?

Alana said...

I'm glad they let you put him in the next room up at church. If not, I would have walked right out and never came back. So sorry about that.

Austin is all boy and he's going to keep you hopping for quite some time. The soup incident was hilarious. Sorry I didn't get up sooner to help ;-)

Fran said...

Hey Shelley...
My 2nd son walked when he was 7 months old...yes, you read that right. He hasn't stopped moving since. However, his energy and enthusiasm is simply contagious and he is pure joy now.

This too shall pass!
Hugs~
Fran

Earen said...

Man, do I completely understand!! It's constant. I have 3 VERY ACTIVE boys and life is busy! I'm sorry though that the church nursery was, well...I would say a bit rude. Good thing you aren't offended easily, because I sure would have been.

Teresa said...

Amen sister...amen! I wish I didn't understand what you are blogging about...but you've met my son. HA! Everyday amazes me as to what he gets into/on/breaks/attemps/says!

Love ya!