Saturday, April 19, 2008

Sometimes it does turn out the way you want it to.

We went to Target today. Me and my three kids. No, we didn't have daddy, he was working. Just me...and the three kids.


I attempt this feat every month or so. I think it must take about that long for my bad memory to forget what happens when I take all three kids to Target. My memory is usually rudely awakened just past the $1 spot, when someone (usually Ellie) has a melt down over the fact that I won't let her get 10 things from the $1 spot.


Because see then it would be the $10 spot. Well, times 2, since I have to keep things even between the girls. So actually the $20 spot.


I digress...


Okay, so today as we walked into Target and I spotted the $20 spot, my stomach dropped. Why do I do this to myself? I thought. I quickly went into, You can each pick 2 things to get if you're good. Really, really, good while mommy shops. Honestly, I didn't hold out much hope. This technique tends to only work when I have one or two kids with me. For some reason the dynamic of three sends my kids into a tailspin in public places. Anyway, without much fuss, they each picked out two things they wanted, and off we went.


Okayyyy...that was too easy.


We marched down isle after isle, we bought stuff for the new kitten we are planning on getting in the next few days. We made it through the baby isles, where I couldn't help but look at baby stuff for my friends Janelle and Jennifer :) Oh the plans I have for those babies! Don't worry, I'm not joining them, I just needed diapers and wipes. We made it through toys, electronics and food...No melt downs.

Wow.

We made it to check-out, when Austin had just had enough. As I struggled to balance him, pay, and load the cart, Ellie started helping me. Helping me! She loaded the cart for me, and even managed to keep Annie close by.

Wow.

We made it to the car, where I praised them for being so good. I was so proud of them! We even had a nice lady make a comment in the store about how good my girls were.

Wow.

So there's hope after all! Someday hopefully all our trips will be like this. And the nightmare trips will be a distant memory.

Today was a glimpse, and it was really, really nice.


9 comments:

Celeste said...

Woohoo!! That's awesome!!

Jamie said...

Yay Shelley. I am so proud of you and your kids. God is good.

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's a sign of Target trips to come! :-)

Renee said...

Yay for happy trips to Target!!

Isn't it nice when life surprises you like that?

Darlene R. said...

I'm so happy that you got to experience a day like that. It does get easier, although we still have our times!

Anonymous said...

I hope you are knocking on some wood! :)

Thanks for calling about the pink/brown and blue/brown. Now I know where to go to make the dream I had happen. Now if the babies are just a boy and a girl :)

Janelle said...

Love that! It makes me smile when things actually go smoothly!

I have avoided the baby aisles for fear of becoming poverty stricken, or maybe its denial. Not sure, but love that you have a plan for my baby!!!

Alana said...

That is awesome! I know you relished the moment!

michelle said...

I love surprises like that! Enjoy and I'm sure another day like that is just around the corner!