Sunday, April 13, 2008

Siblings

Siblings. They are a mystery to me. I am an only child. My sister-in-law Michelle often remarks to me that it's really not fair to me, that I, as an only child, have three children of my own. I have no reference point for this dynamic that my children are. Even my husband has a difficult time with it. Although he has one brother, Chris is almost six years older, so they didn't have the dynamics that our children do. I have two beautiful cousins that I've always considered close to sisters, but we didn't have this sibling dynamic either. I'm learning, OH how I'm learning many things about siblings. Here are some of my observations from today...

They fight for fun, or out of boredom. Constantly. Even Austin, as little as he is, takes unbridled joy in snatching his sisters things and running as fast as his feet will go in the opposite direction.

They are loud. The noise is about to drive me insane. Constant yelling, shouting, screaming, talking, fighting, playing, singing, bossing.

They cannot leave each other alone. We separate them, they are together within moments. We find different activities for each of them, they want to do the same thing. They constantly bicker and pick at each other. I'm beginning to realize that they do this for fun sometimes, but it still drives me crazy!

They are very competitive. They always want our attention, and get furious if we can't give it to them because we're working with their sister/brother.

We've had a lot of "togetherness" today. A lot of time inside the house with not much to do. I have tried to entertain them all day, but I am tired. My patience is fading fast. Only two more hours until bedtime, Hallelujah!

As hard as it is to parent these siblings that are my children, I know it will be worth it someday. Someday they'll have each other as friends and confidants. Someday they'll bond over their mutual frustration about their crazy parents. This is something I don't have. I didn't ever miss it, not until now.

And most of all, someday they'll have children of their own. Children that will fight and scream and cry at their siblings. And I, I will sit back and smile and say Now you know what you put me through all those years!

I cannot wait!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh the things i have to look forward too with three!

Janelle said...

Three? I already have that with two. Your observations are RIGHT ON THE MONEY!!

Big, amen to being grandparents. That will be funny!!

Darlene R. said...

Oh girl, do I feel your pain!
It's always something. The worst time for us is in the van. They shut the door and BAM, it starts! pick,pick,pick!!

dawn said...

Shelley, you are not alone. All of our children argue, bicker and are loud all the time. Seperation does not work over here either. I will tell you one thing that we do that seems to be working..although my kids are older...when one boy hurts the other's feelings or is mean, he must write an apology note to his brother and include things he loves about his brother. This makes them stop and think about all the good things about his brother and why he loves him. Boy1 has written the most...his good things he has written about Boy2 are...You are tall and you like waffles.

Yes, well, it's a start.

Anonymous said...

oh yeah when lane and i were younger i would barely touch her and she would scream, "LAUREN HIT ME!!!!!!" can we say, "drama queen???" :)

Fran said...

Yep. Thats my house too. Except its quiet-er since they are in school now. Hate to say....it still happens...just looks a little different. :)

Hang in there momma! Hope today is a great day!
Hugs~
Fran

Earen said...

It's funny because growing up with siblings, I don't remember doing the things my boys do now...although I'm sure we did. And yes, it can somedays just about drive you NUTS!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the warning!

Jamie said...

I grew up with two sisters. I think that the picking and fussing is normal. I like to think they are learning to relate to other people by practicing on their siblings, those are the people who always HAVE TO love you no matter what. I fought with my sisters and now we are best of friends and talk everyday.

Alana said...

I have three sisters. I can actually remember screaming out the window for help when they would gang up on me (I was the youngest).

I'm dying to see if Lane has a rebuttal to Laurens comment ;-)

Josh and Lane Whitlock said...

awe shelley, you're doing great! just because you didn't have all those experiences with your own siblings, doesn't mean God didn't equip you with the necessary qualities to handle this!

alana, i wouldn't have even read my sisters comment until i saw yours...so here goes.
LAUREN, I CAN BELIEVE YOU SAID THAT....YOU HURT (Shelley and Lauren, you know how I'm pronouncing the word hurt!!) MY FEELINGS!!!!!!!!!
and lauren, there are plenty of things i could bring up, but i'll be the bigger person here. I LOVE YOU SISTER!!!!
happy alana?!?! ;-) hehe

also, i can't believe michelle and chris got linked in this blog...and your "beautiful cousin" didn't. i'm offended shell.

are you sure that you didn't have sibling disputes?? like me?

haha!

Shelley said...

Lane, I apologize for not linking to you. Since Lauren doesn't have a blog, I didn't know if I should just link to you, or not link to anyone. Next time I'll link to you!

And I suppose we had a few "sibling" disputes. I know I witnessed more than a few between you and Lauren!

Josh and Lane Whitlock said...

haha...just giving you a hard time! yes yes, lauren and i did have many of sibling fights...but we do love each other a lot (RIGHT LAUREN??) and we get along pretty great now! at least, i think we do! haha