Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Wanted: Kitten.

It is no secret that we are an animal loving family. Jason and I love cats and dogs. We got our first pet together when we were dating, a black lab we named Abbie. Shortly after getting Abbie, we got a kitten and named her Daisy. Back then we had lots of time to play with our animals, give them attention, and train them.

Now, not so much.

In 2000 we added Elvis to the mix. Elvis is a mix of some kind, probably with some lab in him. He's a big black and white dog, and while he's not the smartest dog in the world, he's very gentle.

Abbie passed away a year ago. We were sad, and we worried that Elvis was depressed. In our worry, we decided to get a new dog.

Chester.

Chester is a full bred Border Collie. He has tons of energy and a very fun personality. Maybe a little too fun. We've learned over the past year that we just don't have the time, or the environment that Chester needs. So today, Chester found a new home. A home with older kids, and wide open spaces. Hopefully his forever home.

This has been hard for me. I've never given an animal away. I feel guilty and sad, even though we found him a new home. I guess I feel like we failed Chester.

In retrospect I realize that we rushed into getting a new dog. We've decided to be a one dog family. Elvis is getting older, and we just feel that he'll be happier by himself. He put up with Chester, but we could tell he wasn't thrilled with him.

Now for the cats.

That would be cats, in the plural form.

Currently we have one cat, Daisy. She's a healthy, pampered 11 year old cat. So why do I say cats?

Here's why...

When Ellie was four, FOUR mind you, she asked if she could have a kitten. At first we just said no, but she was relentless. This girl loves cats. From babyhood she preferred cat stuffed animals. As a toddler she collected stuffed cats by the dozens. As a pre-schooler she started collecting cat figures and decorating her room in all things cat. She loves all animals, and I honestly think she may be a vet someday, but her love for cats is intense. Sometimes I worry that she'll turn into one of those crazy cat ladies! So like I said, she was relentless. Finally, just to get her to be quiet, we told her when she was seven, she could get a kitten.

She never forgot.

She's six now, and constantly reminds us that a kitten is in her near future.

Even nearer than we thought.

When daddy announced that we found a new home for Chester, we had some sad girls on our hands. I knew he felt bad, I did too, but apparently he felt really bad. I about fell over when he looked at Ellie and said...

Maybe we should go ahead and get your kitten now.

WHAT?! Oh no he didn't!

Oh yes he did.

So today, when I told Ellie after school that Chester had gone to his new home, she immediately asked...

Do I have my kitten?!

Poor daddy. He mistakenly thought we'd have a couple of weeks to "research" getting a kitten.

I give it through the weekend.

Tops.

Wish us luck. We need it.

8 comments:

Carissa said...

wishing you ALL sorts of LUCK! i am not a pet lover so i feel even WORSE for you!!! : )

Anonymous said...

Well I suppose the new kitten could be used as a behavior 'tool' as well.

Here is to hoping the new addition will not be a chewer like Chester!


I gotta say I will miss the way Annie always said Chester. Too cute.

Alana said...

Oh that Daddy guys is SUCH a sucker;-)

Janelle said...

Well, cats are better than pigs. Can you imagine if she was pig-crazy?

Anonymous said...

that's hilarious! what was jason thinking??
lauren

Earen said...

I'm sorry about your dog Chester. But the cat thing is just too funny! And you're right...she won't forget. I was the same way as a kid! Good luck!

Jamie said...

Shelley, I have one of those kids, too. She never forgets anything. She tells us stories sometimes, and we look at each other and ask how she possible remembers that. Good luck cat hunting.

Josh and Lane Whitlock said...

YEAH...MORE KITTIES!!!!!

I'm right there with Ellie...sorry!