Monday, February 25, 2008

My sanity has returned!

The Problem:


Austin can climb out of his pack n play. He can climb onto the Dining room table, the kids craft table, and the coffee table. He can run faster than either of the girls ever thought about. He's quiet too. I won't hear a thing, I'll just walk into a room, and find something like this.


Last week, I was about to go nuts. I had no where to put him, to contain him. Other than the booster chair and his bed, both of which I'd already used quite a bit, I had no way of keeping him from destroying my house.

This is all so new to me. Girls don't do this. Girls play dolls, they push strollers around, they draw pictures.

Austin is ALL BOY.

I'd heard the saying, "All Boy", I thought I knew what it meant.

I didn't.

The obvious solution was baby gates. Tall ones. However, I couldn't find any that would fit our extra-wide openings. I did finally find one, but it was $100, and to close off our playroom, it would take 3. $300 is a lot of money. A lot of money that I don't have to spend on baby gates! But after last Monday morning, when I literally had to strap him into his car seat just to do the dishes, I was about ready to do it.

Then my friend Jen had an idea. An idea that will forever go down as one of the best ideas I've ever heard! She pointed out a little area, a kind of hallway, that is just off the Living room. It has two openings, and two doors. She suggested we get two baby gates for the openings, the standard sized openings. And, of course, shut the doors, which lead to Ellie's room and a bathroom.

Thank you God, that Austin cannot open doors yet.

Yet.

We will soon be investing in those door knob covers.

Anyway, I had never even thought about this area. I was stuck on rooms, and none of our rooms would work. The utter brilliance of Jen's idea immediately hit me, and the next morning I was at Wal-Mart at 7:30am.

The Solution:


You can only see one of the gates in this pic. There is an identical one just out of sight, and together they form this little play area for my very active boy. I have my sanity back! Thank you Jen! Jason and I are eternally grateful for your idea. We spent $40 for two standard sized, extra-tall gates, and now have some peace in our home!

10 comments:

Earen said...

Ah yes...welcome to the world of boys. I have THREE of them! It's a blessing, but I hear it's a different world from little girls. I'm so glad that you got an area set up for him to play in & give you some peace!

Carissa said...

so happy you have your sanity back! and that jen had such a great idea!

Celeste said...

Yay! I underestimated the boy thing, too. I keep thinking Luke is getting past the major destruction stage, but as soon as I think I can breath easy, he's right back in it.

dawn said...

What is it with the third child? Boy3 is STEALTH. He could be a navy seal. He can make it to the older boy's room in 2 seconds and never make a sound in the process.

I need to get those jingle bells for his shoes that kids wore when I was a baby. Not that I had to wear them or anything. I've just heard about it, of course.

Anonymous said...

Hooray!

I am so glad it is working out. And i was quite surprised the other night when I realized the little hallway is actually bigger than I thought.

Yea!

Janelle said...

I think you owe Jen dinner or something for your return of sanity!

Dawn & Shelley, I am worried. Very, very worried about the boy in my womb. I am already looking for hallways in my house. Remind me of this when I lose my sanity. :)

Renee said...

What a cutie!! Looks like he definitely keeps you hopping, though!!

I'm glad you're experiencing sanity again...how's that going??
:)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you need to at least buy Jen a candy bar or something.

Glad to see you found a solution. I would have suggested a closet, but I hear that's not very smiled upon in most circles. :-)

Pam said...

So glad you found a solution!!! His own special play area; what a great idea!!

Janelle- not all #3's are...who am I kidding? Be afraid... be very afraid!!

Alana said...

I know how valuable that is for you! I'm glad it is working. Don't wait too long on those doorknob thingies ;-)