Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Famous Fights

Cats vs. Dogs

David vs. Goliath

Rocky Balboa vs. Apollo Creed

Mommy vs. Ellie

That last one was a doosie.

Yesterday morning Ellie decided she wasn't going to school.

And the battle began.

She wasn't going without a fight. She screamed, she cried, she swung her arms and kicked her legs. After a five day break (two snow days, two weekend days, and one sick day), she decided she didn't need school. Somehow I convinced her to get dressed. But that's where the cooperation ended. I had to encourage (aka: threaten) her to get in the car. We finally made our way down the driveway, and headed towards school.

She was still screaming.

She informed me, through her screaming, that I couldn't MAKE her go to school. I couldn't MAKE her get out of the car. She wasn't going ANYWHERE!

Honestly, I got a little scared. How was I going to make her? I started praying.

After a while, I mentioned that she might want to eat the waffle that I'd brought her.

She did.

Then it came to me. My incentive.

You see, she's a very unique child. Spanking doesn't really work with her. Taking toys away sometimes works, but not when she's this determined. Yelling at her only makes her madder. Reasoning works...when she's being reasonable. I had to find something to cut through her rage. It had to be a serious consequence, something that would really matter to her.

Money.

We've tried this before, but she's just now really understanding the concept of money. She got quite a bit for her birthday, and she was very excited about it. She's only bought one thing so far. Spending most of her time planning how to spend it.

So, I took some of her money. One dollar for every minute she had screamed at me.

$26.

She looked at me in utter disbelief, when I told her.

Then she cried.

Then she calmed down.

Then we talked.

Then we hugged.

Then she went to school.

She was exhausted when I picked her up. She went to bed early on her own. She needed me to lay down with her, to hug her.

This morning she was happy. She was sweet, loving, and caring.

And so it goes.

We do this every now and then. Have a massive battle of the wills. They drain me. They make my heart ache. But for her, they seem almost necessary. She needs to challenge me, to battle me. She needs to know that I am still her rock. That my love, my rules, my discipline are steadfast. All children do this. Test us. Her testing is just more extreme than most. I found a blessing in all of this though. Last night when we talked things over some more, I realized that WE were talking. Not just me, we. It used to be a one-way conversation. Now she is able to communicate better, to understand herself better. And that is a huge blessing.

I know this is something that we'll deal with for awhile. What we battle over will change, the type of discipline will change, but we'll still battle. I thank God for the wisdom He provides me during these times. He never fails to whisper the right idea in my ear. I read this on Renee's blog last night, and took it to heart. Thanks Renee, for the great perspective. Most of all, thank you God for helping me stay strong.

11 comments:

dawn said...

Shelley-you are a rock solid mom and I admire you. That is no easy task and it seems you handled it with grace and dignity.

As I see it, God is forming Ellie's personality into exactly what he desires for her...to be strong in the face of peer pressure, tough when people challenge her and she knows she is right and to be dilligent when faced with a child just like her.

You are a great mom. I hope you kept that $26. When I have to take money from my kids, I usually deposit into their little bank accounts. Makes me feel less guilty about taking their money.

Or maybe a trip to Target is just the reward you need for a day like this. You have $26 cash.

Anonymous said...

wow ellie has more money than me!!!
lauren

Renee said...

I was encouraged last night when I read your comment on my blog. Encouraged that someone else needed the same verse that God had laid on my heart. And so encouraged that you felt His peace while you were fighting with Ellie.

It's kind of wild to think he cares about those things, isn't it?

I'm glad that you were able to get through to her, and that you had a good talk last night.

I know it's hard...but it IS exciting to think about what a strong woman Ellie will become, thanks in part to your steadfastness and guidance.

Keep going...you and He are doing a great job!

Janelle said...

What a day! Sounds like you handled it the best way. Seeking God first in all you say and do. You are a wise mommy to know your daughter so well.

I hope you kept the $$, too. Dawn's idea about putting it in their accounts is a good one. That way they have the sting of losing it, but they don't know it is really back with them.

You are an awesome mom! I love hearing your journey with Ellie. God made her for you.

Carissa said...

wow shelley...i'm just amazed that you came away from that seeing the positives so quickly. that is so cool. you are amazing and i'm so glad you are ellie's mom!

Anonymous said...

Sorry it was a rough morning.

Next time when you mention about losing the money tell her whatever money she loses will be divided up between Annie and Austin.

Afterall one childs attitude majorly affects the siblings. It would be especially stinging to her, yet rewarding for the other 2 for good behavior.

Alana said...

Spend the money!! At least some of it ;-)

Glad you made it through the storm, you handled it beautifully!

Sarah Markley said...

You are a genius. Truly. I've never thought about taking money AWAY, only giving...hmmm. I like it! You are a good mama!

Earen said...

Oh, how very very true! They are just wanting to know that we still love them...

Enjoy your extra cash! Great idea!

Always Faith said...

oh my....i can SOOOO relate. I had one of those battles last night. hang in there!

Pam said...

I thought it was so insightful that you felt that she needs to challenge you and to know that you are still her rock. I love that you also got a blessing after the battle.

And I am so glad I got to see you yesterday. You are so sweet!