Thursday, February 14, 2008

For Ellie

There is a song on my iPod, that often brings tears to my eyes. It usually happens on a day when I've been too frustrated, or yelled too much. It's a song that always gives me some good perspective. You'd think it was a christian song, but it's not, it's actually country. It is...

In My Daughter's Eyes, by Martina McBride.




The other day I was listening to this song, and I began thinking about how it applied to my life. Especially my life with Ellie. I was already feeling a bit nostalgic, knowing it was almost my first baby's 6th birthday. As I listened, I began to write down my thoughts, and then I decided that I would post them for Ellie's birthday.

These are some lines that jumped out at me, and my thoughts and feelings on them...

In my daughter's eyes...I am strong and wise, and I know no fear.


I love how I am still your rock Ellie, the person you turn to when you are scared or unsure.

...I see who I want to be, in my daughter's eyes.


Oh how true this is. I see myself as a strong, confident person in your eyes.

...Everyone is equal...


I love how you see God's people, all equal. There is no judgement in you. There is no self-conciousness yet. It's a wonderful place for you to be.

...this miracle God gave to me, gives me strength when I am weak...


Again, so true. You strengthen me daily. Sometimes in good, fun ways. Other times in harder ways, but I have become so much stronger because of you.

...It's hangin' on when your heart has had enough, it's given' more when you feel like giving up...


There have been times when my head, my physical self, and my heart, my emotional self, have had more than I think I can bear. But I keep going, because you are SO worth it.

In my daughter's eyes, I can see the future...

I see you, Ellie, as a caring, beautiful, strong woman. I see an animal lover, a leader, and most important, a grown-up child of God.

...I'll be there, in my daughter's eyes.


I'll always be with you. I give a part of myself to you every day. And you give a part of yourself back to me. We strengthen each other, and we soften each other. I am so glad to be your mother. I am so glad you are my daughter.

Oh Ellie, the excitement I felt when you were born! I knew my life, my heart would never be the same. You were so wanted, so planned for, so anticipated! You've given me a new life, a life as a mother. I've loved caring for you, teaching you, raising you. I am so excited to see where this next year takes us! Have fun being six years old sweetie. I love you!
Love, Mommy

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a sweet post.

Print it out and add it to her scrapbook, it is beautiful!

I hope she had a great birthday, can't wait to celebrate her tonight.

Pam said...

Oh Shelley~ That was absolutely beautiful! Thank you so much. I love starting my day with a good cry, it cleanses my soul and puts things into perspective. I love knowing that God gave us each the children he did to strengthen us and to help us see ourselves the way he sees us; with unconditional love.

(also, I love your new family picture!)

Alana said...

I love that and she is going to love it even more someday when she reads that as an adult. It's a treasure just like she is! Happy Birthday, Ellie!

Carissa said...

sooo sweet! you are such a neat mommy!!!

Jamie said...

Shelley,
I am new at this blogging thing, so if I left two comments please disregard. I really liked your post. As a mom of girls I can't hear that song without crying. Happy Birthday to Ellie.
Check out my new blog if you want to: journeymom-jamie.blogspot.com

Sarah Markley said...

I love that song. And, I totally get this. I do.

michelle said...

What a sweet post! I will never think of that song the same! Thanks Shelley!

Renee said...

Sooo beautiful and touching. What a sweet mommy spirit you have!