Thursday, July 31, 2008

It's not exactly the way I'd like to spend four hours and $150.

Do you want the long version, or the short version?

I'm going with short, because as I started typing the long, I got bored.

Short:

Night before last, Annie hit Austin in the head with the hard end of a water hose.

Accidentally.

We think.

He got a big ole bump, right between the eyes. We watched him for signs of a concussion, there were none, we relaxed. Yesterday morning he woke up with his bump looking much better, and a 102 degree temp. A fever is not a sign of a concussion, but the doctor told us to let them know if he got nauseous or lethargic.

At 3:30 he threw up.

Then he proceeded to get more and more lethargic.

At 4:40 I decided to call the doctor.

They had closed at 4:30.

I took him to our urgent care, who sent us to the ER.

Austin's first picture in the ER.



4 hours, 1 ct scan, and $150 later, I basked in the knowledge that he was just fine. His fever and nauseousness were symptoms of a virus. Something that I had thought was a probability, but with the possibility of something more serious, I just had to know for sure.

My boy is doing much better today. I always figured he'd be the first one of our children to need the ER. I didn't count on Annie being the one to put him there! Sweet Annie, who in a rare moment of wildness, smacked her brother between the eyes with the hard end of a hose.

They never cease to baffle me.

9 comments:

dawn said...

Oh, my, shelley! I can totally relate. We took Boy3 to the ER because I thought be MIGHT have swallowed a toy car wheel. That's what the nurse told me to do. Darned nurse.

150 dollars and lots of xrays later...no wheel. Not on the scans and not in the poop.

I feel your pain.

Janelle said...

Just give that boy a big ole kiss from me. I want to hug him (and you!)

Jamie said...

I am so glad that your wildman is okay. I hope that he (and you)is getting some rest today.

Anonymous said...

I still remember the pain and the bruise when my cousin smacked me in the leg with the business end of a water hose... and that was almost 20 years ago!

Bless his heart... glad it's just a virus!

Anonymous said...

He sounded much better today!

Hope you got a day of rest in.

Darlene R. said...

Poor baby! I'm glad he is feeling better today. Ouch!

michelle said...

I'm glad to hear he is doing better! Hope you had a chance to rest!

Carissa said...

oh my word. what a nightmare. all things involving the ER are always a nightmare!!! glad he is okay though. and glad you got some peace of mind!

Earen said...

Oh man...I'm so glad he's ok! My middle son has recently gotten several bruises and bumps on his head & it's scary. I guess it's all for a mother's peace of mind, right?!