Friday, July 25, 2008

I never was a morning person.

I am one tired lady!

This week Ellie has gone to vacation bible school. I love VBS, I loved going as a kid, working it as a teenager, and taking Ellie now.

HOWEVER, I had no idea how actually having to wake up at a decent hour, and get out the door, for the first time since school let out, would essentially kick my tail!

It's not like it started at 6am or anything. No, it didn't start until 9:00. Still, I had to drag my sleepy self out of bed every morning, and wake up Ellie from a sound slumber at the early hour of 8:15. (Yes, I pushed it as far as I could!)

I'm not sure what happened to our fantastic sleep schedule this summer! I guess the kids slowly started sleeping in, and then staying up later. I got used to staying up quite late, because nobody was waking me up before 9 or 10.

I have to say, for the most part, I love this schedule. It's just me. It was the schedule I had all through college. Except the one semester I had to take an 8:00 class.

I failed that class.

Anyway, I've been reminded this week that this schedule doesn't work so well with kids. Kids who wake you up in the middle of the night. Kids who need to be taken to VBS. Kids who have crazy demands like breakfast.

So I will be trying to get to sleep before midnight now. Trying to retrain my body to wake up earlier.

It's hard though, because at midnight I don't have to fight anyone for the remote!

7 comments:

Darlene R. said...

That is so funny because we have been talking about that around here, too. I really don't want to give up my summer schedule! All of the kids sleep until at least 9 and it is going to be crazy trying to get back on our school schedule.

Two more weeks...

Jamie said...

Lucky people. My children get up early, even in the summer. 8:10 isn't even on my radar. Little Sis is quite reliable her normal time is 6:30, 6:45 or 7 a.m. if I'm lucky. I do agree that it will be tough to get back to the school bedtime schedule.

Anonymous said...

This week has been so lovely to not have to wake before 8...as opposed to last week when we had to be in the car and driving to the city by 8!

Janelle said...

All of us took a LOOONNNNNGGGG nap today. It was heavenly.

As for breakfast...my kids were so excited to actually have breakfast. 5 days

IN A ROW.

michelle said...

I'm not ready for getting up early either. It has been nice to sleep in and take our sweet time getting dressed and out the door.

Fran said...

What will we do when school starts back?? It will be U-G-L-Y!

VBS is this week for us...I know, the last church in America....and I don't know how we'll do it. Since i'm in charge, I have to leave my house at 8 every day.

Prayers appreciated!
Fran

Alana said...

I am the SAME way, girl. Same way. Something about that time after the kids are in bed that I just want to have as much as possible!