Friday, July 11, 2008

Overdue blueberries.

So this morning Alana and I were working out at Curves, and she mentioned she had a new post up about blueberry picking. "Oh yes," I said, "we did that too!" Shocked, okay maybe not shocked, I mean, we are talking about blueberries here, so I'll say, Surprised, she said "You did? Did you blog about that?" And my answer was, "Well, no, I keep meaning too, but..." So here, my friends, is my long overdue post about blueberry picking, inspired by my friend Alana, who actually blogs about things soon after they happen, instead of six weeks later.

Six weeks ago...

We went blueberry picking! There is this GREAT little place about an hour south of us that has the most beautiful fields of blueberries I've ever seen. Of course, they're the only blueberry fields I've ever seen, but still. Michelle went last year, and invited us along this year. My girls were SO excited to spend a day with their cousins, aunt, Grammie, and Nana. Austin blessedly stayed home with a babysitter. It would not have been a good day for me had I been chasing him through blueberry bushes. Which we all know I would've been doing. Here we are, all ready to pick some delicious berries! Elaina, Ellie, Annie, and Olivia!


Ellie and Elaina were so cute. They were picking blueberries for each other, finding "good ones" and "keepers". They were blueberry buddies that day!


These two were blueberry buddies too. Wherever Olivia is, you'll find Annie close behind!


Grammie actually had a good time too! I say actually, because, well, my mom is not really the blueberry picking type. I mean, outside, with bushes, in the sun, maybe some bugs...Let's just say I was a bit surprised when she decided to come along. Thrilled, but surprised!


Now, Nana, she was serious about her blueberry picking. A veteran berry picker, she quickly filled her bucket! When I found her, I finally snapped a pic, but that woman was fast!


We hadn't realized it until we arrived, but we were actually there on opening day. They had a fantastic crop this year, apparently we've had prime conditions for blueberry growing. Just look at these!


And these!


Here's Elaina, Annie, and Olivia taking a blueberry snack break. Annie kept eating the green ones, *shiver*, she said they were her favorites!


And here is some of our loot! My girls and I picked almost five pounds. Ellie would've kept going if I would have let her. After two hours, she was just getting started! However, Annie and the cousins were done, and well, so was I!


I have to say, it was a really fun day. I thoroughly enjoyed spending time with family, picking delicious berries, and making great memories! I think we have us a new family tradition!

9 comments:

Josh and Lane Whitlock said...

OH HOW MUCH FUN IS THAT!!! This should have been a tradition long ago. Maybe I can join in next time!

Earen said...

What a fun family thing to do together & you brought how God's wonderful creation!!

Carissa said...

you girls and your blueberries...you are making me HUNGRY!

Celeste said...

I am so a Grammie type... I remember when Jen invited me to the pumpkin patch and I secretly hoped it was somehow an indoor pumpkin patch. :)

Janelle said...

Yummy day! I love blueberry buddies.

Jamie said...

Yum, sounds fun. I hope you made a lot of sweet treats from your crop.

Fran said...

Boys don't want to go pick blueberries so I'm VERY jealous! :)

Hugs,
Fran

Alana said...

It really was fun, I think we might go back in a couple weeks for some blackberries!

Kelly N said...

We were just out there ourselves this past weekend, and on my blog, I just added a few blueberry recipes. They told us that blackberries will be ready this week! Yay! Hope you enjoy yours as much as we do ours.