Thursday, December 6, 2007

It's (FINALLY) begining to look a lot like Christmas...

I am filled with the Joy of Christmas this year.


Really!


Apparently my house wasn't.


UGH! That is how the decorating of my house felt when I started this year. I just finished this morning. I didn't do nearly as much as I normally do...2 big trees, and 3 smaller trees...a little "extra" stuff in the living room and dining room...and that's about it.


OK, I realize that to some people that sounds like a lot. But not in my family. I usually have 2 more trees up, garlands everywhere, wreathes in the windows, and many more "extras" around. But not this year...


I'm changing.


It started when I found out I was prego with baby #3. I'm downsizing. It's a gradual process, but a process that makes me happy. I don't feel the need for the level of perfectionism I used to maintain. Our house is decorated "just enough" to make me happy. Inside and Out. Honestly it was a struggle to do much of anything this year, but I'm glad I did it, and I'm even more glad it's done! It's tough, having 3 young kids, to get anything done. It's been especially tough this year with our little "Turbo Man" around.

But I really do feel "Christmassy." More so than I have in recent years. I think my attitude of "letting go" has helped that. The girls helped me decorate the trees...all of them...and I only Re-decorated one! When I ask them "What is the most important thing about Christmas"? Their first answer is Baby Jesus! It's things like that, along with the chill in the air, that has me feeling good.

So here I sit, in my semi-decorated-yet-perfect house, letting my self relax a bit.

It feels really really good.

Oh, and I heard a great song yesterday. "Christmas with a Capital C", by Go Fish. I love their music, if you haven't heard it, go listen! Our other favorites are "Jammies", "The Mom Song", "Itsy Bitsy Spider", and "Saved!" Seriously, I know it's "kid" music, but I listen to it even when my kids aren't with me! The Christmas song is on their CD "Snow", and the others are on their CD "Snazzy."

Tomorrow I hope to get to the Christmas Meme...we'll see!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah for decorations!!! don't worry, i didn't do much this year either. i just put our tree up, which it does look awesome, and then a few other things. you know a lot doesn't fit in a small apartment, but last year i did a lot more than this year, and i still think it looks good. so good for you!!!!!
lauren

Janelle said...

I love your new look and your new OUTLOOK on life. Perfectionism will destroy you. I am so glad to see you letting go a little.

I am sure your house looks beautiful. Everything you touch is gorgeous!

Love your lessons learned, friend.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I had three small ones at once, and I decorated big time. Now they're 21, 18 and 15, and I almost didn't even put a tree up this year, but the 15 year old said we needed one. I'm just plain tard!

Alana said...

YAY for Christmas decorations! It feels so good to have them up. I am proud of you for letting go a little. I feel so much happier when I don't allow perfectionism to rule my life.

ooh, and love the new look!

Carissa said...

letting go is so great isn't it!!! just warning you - when you come for the nertz party - less is more for me with decorations. don't judge me to harshly! can't wait for that evening by the way! fun times ahead! : )

Erin Ward said...

Did you hear "Christmas with a Capital C" on Woddy's show on KGBX? That's where I heard it, and I just about cracked up.

dawn said...

Our pastor used that song as an illustration for his sermon on Sunday. I need to listen to it.

Three cheers for downsizing!