Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Two down, one to go!

Four years ago, when Annie was born just after the cut-off date to start preschool last year, I was frustrated.

Two years ago when Austin was born, I was even more frustrated that I couldn't send her off sooner.

At the time I was overwhelmed at the thought of three kids, ages four and under. It wasn't what I'd planned for.

As time went by, and my sweet Annie bloomed into a beautiful young girl, I started to be okay with her being home with me for one more year. And soon I wasn't just okay with it, but quite happy.

Had she been born 16 days earlier, she would've started preschool last year. And I would have missed having just her and Austin all to myself for that year. We had a great year. Now, looking back, I realize that it would have been a lot harder for her had she gone to preschool a year earlier. She's a tiny little thing, she's quiet, she most likely would have felt overwhelmed. This past year she's matured, she's grown a lot, and she has a certain confidence about herself that I just adore.

And yesterday she started preschool!

She was SO excited as we got ready for school. She dressed herself, which she does often, except yesterday she said she was doing it because she was "bigger today."

Too cute.

She sweetly posed for pictures outside her school.




As we walked into the building, she started to get a little scared. Lucky for us, Aunt Michelle is a teacher at her school, and we quickly forgot about our fears as we talked to her.


She hung her new Purple Princess Fairy backpack up in the hall by her name, and went into her classroom.


Mrs B. was there to greet her with her very own name tag, and welcome her to this wonderful world of school.


I love Mrs. B. She was Ellie's preschool teacher, and she taught me so much about parenting my strong willed first born.

Annie sat down with a puzzle. Actually, all four of the girls in the class had migrated to the puzzle table. They don't know each other yet, although I know two of the three other girls parents, and they are Wonderful people. I have a feeling they might become close friends.


At first she wanted me to stay with her, but after a couple of minutes she was ready for me to go. I gave her one last hug and kiss, and made my way out of the building.

And then...well then it hit me.

I'm down to one!

Whooo Hooo!

Thanks to Nana, who watched Austin for a little while, I even got a workout in!

It really sunk in when I picked Austin up from Nana's. I was buckling him into his carseat...and then I was ready to go.

Just one.

One to buckle.

Wow.

I can only imagine what it will feel like two years from now, when Annie starts kindergarten, and Austin starts preschool.

Somebody might have to pinch me!

12 comments:

Carissa said...

darling!!!! and i love the outfit she picked for herself! she is stylish!!! : )

Jamie said...

Shelley, I wrote a comment but it's gone now. I don't know what happend. This post brought back memories for me. Annie will blossom in preschool, especially with Mrs. B as a teacher, we LOVE her.

Celeste said...

hahahaha, remember when you just had one child, and it seemed SOOOO hard?? Remember before you had kids and you thought you were actually tired?

Anonymous said...

I so remember the first day of preschool, first day of kindergarten, etc. He is now in the 4th grade and dares me to walk in with him. Enjoy the time, it will be gone before you know it!
Melissa

Anonymous said...

I loved that even among 33 kids on the playground, Annie and AJ were chasing each other around.

I love the friendship they have formed since they were 'carrier friends'.

michelle said...

What a sweet post! I'm so happy for Annie! She is going to love this year! It is her turn to shine! :)

Teresa said...

I'm looking forward to the "oh my God parenting one child is soooooo easy" feeling when Ashlyn goes to Kindergarten next year!

I'm so glad she's going to have a great year!!!!

Anonymous said...

I got a little teary-eyed at the sweet pictures. She looks like such a big girl!

Enjoy your one!!!

Anonymous said...

annie is soooo cute!!!
lauren

Janelle said...

Serious cute. I am glad she had a great day.

BTW, you look awesome! I am so proud of you.

Alana said...

Those pictures are adorable. So glad she had a great first day!

Josh and Lane Whitlock said...

SHE'S SOOOOO GROWN UP!! I remember not too long ago holding her in the hospital. Awww! Congrats on two down! ;-)