Monday, September 8, 2008

You should have been there.

If you would have been at our local Wal-Mart Super Center today from 4:10-4:40pm, this is what you would have seen...

Me, a bit tired from not a lot of sleep, with my 3 kids in tow.

Ellie, a lot tired from not a lot of sleep, and a busy day at school.

Annie, a bit tired from a busy morning.

Austin, a lot tired from missing a nap today.

You would have heard my girls begging me for a "treat" aka: a new toy, if they would be good for me while we got the 5 things on my list.

Obviously I'm not above bribery.

You would have seen my girls have their first fight just inside the first set of doors, over who would sit where in the "big" cart.

You would have heard their screams when I informed them they had just lost any hope of a "treat."

You would have heard Ellie start begging for "JUST ONE MORE CHANCE!!!"

You would have watched me drag myself through the store with a crying six and half year old, THE ENTIRE TIME.

You would have seen at least one more of my kids crying along with her. Which one it was varied.

At times it was all three.

You would have seen MANY dirty looks from strangers.

You would have seen my very tired, very stern face.

You would have seen my son wiggle out of the restraint straps, and climb out of the moving cart.

More than once.

You would have seen the check-out lady move VERY quickly to get us out of her line.

Especially after Austin tried to climb onto the conveyor belt.

And you would have seen the look of relief on the store managers face as we exited his store.

Okay, so I made that last one up. But it's entirely probable.

And WHY did I do this to myself?

Hangers and Safety Pins.

That's it.

I needed them tonight, for a children's clothing sale I'm participating in, and yes, I've waited until the last minute to get ready for this thing.

And I knew it.

I knew what I was in for as soon as I got the kids out of the car at Wal-Mart.

But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

And now I need to apologize to anyone who was in Wal-Mart today.

I'm sorry. I'd say it won't happen again, but there's a good chance that it will.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking wait til the kiddos are in bed with Jason home and sneak back into town.

That after school time is the 'witching hour'.

Sorry you had that.

Carissa said...

oh my word...that really does sound awful. so sorry!!!

Darlene R. said...

That sounds all too familiar. It made me tired to read it!

I hope the next time will be less stressful!

Fran said...

Oh girl...We all know that pain and misery don't we??? I'm a procrastinator so its alawys my fault when this mess hits the fan.

Hope today, tomorrow and the rest of the week is free from walmart meltdowns! :)
Hugs,
Fran

Anonymous said...

I remember those days! They will pass quickly! God Bless, Melissa

Alana said...

Ugh. So sorry. Those times are just rough. And I don't get the dirty looks. How are those supposed to help. Sheesh.

Jamie said...

So sorry.

Darlene R. said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog, it made me laugh! Your poor husband!
Renovations after midnight around here would probably be a bad idea!

Have a good day!

Janelle said...

If I were there, I would have given you a hug and bought you a Frappucino. Then I would have asked you for a drink. Then I would have had to take the drink and run for my dear life because I love them. Then all the snotty people would have had another freak to give dirty looks to.

Pam said...

Oh girl... BEFORE Spicy guy I would have been thinking a dirty look, but I never would have given one. He could throw a fit with the best of them. God has a wonderful way of teaching people humility... so don't you even worry what other people are thinking.

I'm Tara. said...

I'm so glad I read this AFTER I'd gone to the store the first time with all 3 of them. LOL Bless your heart - I'm sorry. That sounds exhausting. And frustrating. And everything else.

Julie said...

Oh how I remember those days.... It was all I could do to take all 3 or 4 or 5 kids (depending on how many had been born) to Wal-mart....

I can so see my children in days gone by in your post...

One time my now 21 year old daughter wanted to ride the carousel outside of Wal-mart... She decided to pitch a fit in the grocery store so I informed her there would be no horse ride (she was 2 at the time). She threw a HUGE fit on top of the little fit. As I carried my groceries out to the car with her hand in one of my hands, she decided to run towards traffic in the midst of her fit. I held onto my groceries for dear life as I ran after her...
As soon as I grasped her hand she pulled away and ran back out. Again struggling to hold onto the paper bags I ran after her. This time my bottle of salad dressing fell out of the grocery sack and crashed onto the pavement breaking into tiny pieces. I was so spent by the time I got her in the car that I didn't want to talk to her. We got home, she was now laughing...I was still fuming. I got her out of the car and shut the car door. I heard a cat screaming beside me. Seems the neighbor's cat had decided at that moment to come up to the car and unfortunately I had shut the door on it's tail.
I'm fuming from the event with my daughter, the cat is screaming in pain and my daughter is excited to see the kitty.... That was 19 years ago and I still remember it like it was yesterday.

Oh and by the way, that 21 year old is now working with our youth girls, following hard after her God.

Thanks for sharing your story. I enjoyed every word.

Hugs,
Julie