Wednesday, September 24, 2008


Well, Austin turned two. (more on that later)

And then I got sick.

Really sick.

Monday morning I woke up feeling a little nauseous. Assuming the feeling would pass, I got up and helped Ellie get ready for school. Soon after she and daddy walked out the door, I realized I was actually feeling a little worse. So I layed back down, again assuming the sick feeling would pass. I definitely didn't have time to be sick that day. Besides putting my house back together from the previous days festivities, and taking Annie to gymnastics, I was also set to volunteer at Ellie's school for the book fair that afternoon.

Annie woke up, and I gave up on straightening up the house, in hopes that a little more rest would make the sick feeling go away. Not so much. I began to realize that it was turning into some sort of stomach flu type thing. And then I remembered how Austin had thrown up all over me, two nights before, and it dawned on me that I might have been blessed by some of those germs. By the time Austin woke up I was in pretty rough shape, and I finally decided to call for help.

This is where I have to say that I am a very blessed person. When I decided to call for help, I knew I had a list, a long list, of family and friends who would help me in any way they could. I have the best family and friends in the world. Really and Truly.

My mom was the first call. I cried on the phone to her. (How come I can always hold in together until I talk to my mom?) The thought of Ellie showing up to the book fair that I had promised her I'd be at, only to find me not there was just ripping me apart. I knew if I couldn't be there, that Grammie would be a great substitute. Or even better than me, as it turned out. :) She dropped her plans and immediately came to rescue me. When she walked in the door, I knew everything would be okay. She went into action, cleaning up the messes Austin had already made that morning. Doing dishes. Feeding my children. Austin literally ran to her when she arrived, just melting into her, which isn't really like him. It's as if he knew mommy wasn't able to take care of him, and that Grammie could. And after all that, she went to the book fair in my place, so that Ellie wouldn't be disappointed.

My second call was to my mom-in-law. She was already planning to come over that afternoon, to watch Annie and Austin while I went to the book fair. I called to let her know I was sick, and that mom was taking my place at school that afternoon. But that I still needed her help, Tremendously. She came shortly after my mom, and also went into action. When mom left, Nana stayed. By that time I was so out of it, I could barely talk or think. At some point I realized Nana had taken the kids outside. Then she fed them. She put Austin down for a nap. She watched a movie with Annie. She folded my laundry.

Because of these two incredible women, I was able to sleep and rest all day.

My sweet mom-in-law stayed until Jason came home. By that time I was starting to feel a little human again. Jason was also Wonderful to me that night. He fed the kids dinner, and readied them for bed. I barely moved from my recliner all evening.

And Tuesday morning, I felt Fantastic.


You know how usually it takes a couple of days to really feel normal again, after you've had the stomach flu? At least it usually takes me a few days. But not this time. I felt incredible. Energetic in fact. It was the weirdest thing! But this is what I think, I got to rest. Really rest and sleep, and let my body heal, all day long. That's an incredible thing for a mom of young ones. An incredibly rare thing! And I think it's because of all that rest that I was so much better so fast.

So, all that to say...


Thank You to my mom and mom-in-law. Without you two, I don't know what I would have done!!! Well, I probably would have started calling my I guess I should thank you for them too! :)

And Thank You to my sweet husband. You were great at taking care of me and the kids that night. You've come a long way baby!

And one more Thank You to God. For giving me such a wonderful support network of family and friends to call on when I'm in need.

I am very, very blessed.


Fran said...

Well, that might be the sweetest post I've read in awhile Shelley.
I mean it. We are all so blessed to have someone we can call when we need them.

Blessed indeed. I'm glad you are better. Its hard when momma goes down. But, you were blessed. :)


Darlene R. said...

I am so glad you are feeling better! I have been fighting a cold for a few days now, but I am on the mend.

I, too, have a mom and mom-in-law that are willing to step in, so I know how that is.

Blessed is a good word for it!

JP's MOM said...

So glad it was just a quick bug!

Gald you feel better.

Laney-Lou said...

Man, we DO have a great family don't we!?! Couldn't ask for better I'd say. Glad to hear you're feeling better!

Janelle said...

Reading this made me want to call my mom and MIL. It will have to wait until tomorrow, but I want to call them and say the same things.

Sweet Shelley. I love ya!

Alana said...

I'm so glad you are feeling better. And yes, you are sooooo blessed to have not one, but two sets of grandparents close by!

Earen said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better! It's so hard to function with kids and everything else when you're sick. And I too am blessed with family being so close...thank you Lord!

I'm Tara. said...

Awww, dang. I'm sorry you got sick. I'm glad it was a fast mover though. I too, am blessed. I also cry with my mom - it's just one of those things. Glad you had loving help - it is a lifesaver, isn't it? Hugs, my friend.