Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The Good, the Bad, and the Very Very UGLY!

Did that title get your attention?

I'll give you the good news first...We did not have the Chicken Pox. Hallelujah, praise God! I was SO dreading dealing with three kids itching and scratching, which by the way, I did NOT think of my ironic blog title until a couple of you clever readers pointed it out! The children's spots turned out to be a good old-fashioned case of ringworm. They each have two to four spots that are under control, and are not causing us any pain or itching. That is the good.

The bad...I am not fairing so well. I have something...but we don't know exactly what I have. It isn't the Chicken Pox, and it isn't a classic case of ringworm. That much we do know. We also know that none of our pets brought this on, since we had them all checked for the bargain price of $185. That price included medicine for our healthy pets, so they don't get ringworm from US! Ironic, don't you think? We had just been to the vet last week, for our new kitten to be declawed and spayed, which was another bargain at $175. I feel good in knowing that we've done our part in sending our veterinarian on a nice vacation this year. Really. And since money grows on trees at our house, I decided to pay a little visit to our local ER on Monday night. Which brings me to...

The Ugly... My spots have turned into some sort of nasty lesions. They've spread up and down both arms and legs. I stopped counting at 40. I will spare you the actual sight of them, as I can barely look at my own arms right now. Trust me, they are UGLY!

They itched at first, but Monday evening the itching turned into burning and stinging, which is what landed me in the ER. The ER put me on several different medicines, basically a "we don't know what you have but hopefully one of these medicines will work" approach. The most plausible possibility is that I may be having some sort of allergic reaction to something, possibly the ringworm my kids have. The allergic reaction may be causing these lesions, which also seem to be infected, and therefore causing the pain.

Only me.

However, this is a "guess" on my doctor's part. Since he isn't certain of what exactly we're dealing with, I went in for a biopsy this morning. Hopefully by next Tuesday we'll know more. I will say that I am feeling better today. Something seems to be working, the spots don't look as infected as they did yesterday and they also aren't hurting as badly. It's just such a weird feeling to look down at my own arms and see all those nasty spots. It's like it's not even my body.

Anyway, thanks to all of you for your prayers and well wishes. We're on the mend, and hopefully we'll be back to our "normal" lives soon!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hoping you feel better soon and that maybe the results will come back before the weekend!

Carissa said...

YIKES girl! i am SO sorry. nothing worse than the "unknown" when it comes to medical ailments. here's hoping it clears up FAST!!!!

Janelle said...

Oh, honey! I had no idea they were getting bad enough for the ER. I hope they clear up fast.

I really hope your Vet has a very lovely vacation! NOT.

Earen said...

Oh Shelley...I'm SO sorry! You poor thing! I will pray that the Lord would just heal you & give those drs. wisdom. And ya, money sure grows on trees here too...glad we bought a money tree! HA! Love your sense of humor & love sarcasm!

Fran said...

Oh Shelley....That sounds like an episode around our house. The word lesion just sends chills down my spine.

Hope you are feeling better by the second! :)

Hugs~
Fran

dawn said...

Wow, Shelley! So sorry you are going through all this. Cannot imagine how you are feeling. Hope you can rest at night and that this all goes away very soon.

Celeste said...

Oh no!! I'm glad it's just ringworm for the kids, but I feel for you! I hope they get it figured out soon!

Anonymous said...

So glad you're not having to deal with the chicken pox! I hope you find out what's ailin' you and feel even better soon!

Sarah Markley said...

oh wow...i hope you all feel better soon!

michelle said...

I'm glad to hear you are doing a little bit better! I've been worried about you! Hang in there!

Josh and Lane Whitlock said...

glad to hear you're feeling a little better love! sorry you're still dealing with all of this though. hope you hear from the doc soon! love you tons and i'll speak for all of us...thanks for sparing the world by not putting up pictures! ;-)

Alana said...

You poor thing, I hope today was a better day and that whatever is ailing you goes away SOON!

I'm Tara. said...

Oh, goodness! I am so sorry. :( Hope it all clears up soon and that your whole family can go back to normal quickly!

You know, a woman that I know from MOPS had a very similar sounding thing with both of her kids. She said it's just bacteria that got under the skin and got infected. They are on systemic and topical antibiotics and it's just NOW clearing up -- about 2 weeks later, I think. She's been showering them multiple times a day and washing sheets every day. Crazy stuff like that.

Oh, and btw - my recent post has an "only me" line in it with regards to an ailment, too. What are the odds? :)

Darlene R. said...

Man Shelley, I hope things get better very soon. I'm glad they decided to do a biopsy. I hate the unknown when talking about the body.

Have a Happy Mother's Day and let us know what you find out!