Thursday, May 1, 2008

Austin's Antics

I think I'll start a series called Austin's Antics.

Appropriate, don't you think?

The latest?

Today I was trying to locate all the cordless phones. I try and keep tabs (in my head) of where all three of our cordless handsets are. You see, if they go missing for too long they go dead, and then I can't use the "locate" feature on the base to find them. Usually there's one at the computer, one in the kitchen, and one in the living room. Of course, at times they do migrate, and I have to go hunt them down. Most of the time they turn up without much fuss. Every now and then it takes a while to find one. One time one was missing for a few days. I had just about given up when I found it buried in a toy basket. Since the toy basket incident, I try and make sure I know where all the phones are at least once a day.

Back to today...I started the phone hunt, and immediately located two of the three phones. When the third didn't turn up quite so easily, I turned to my trusty "locate" button, and listened intently...nothing.

But wait...was that just a very faint ring?

I began to walk...nothing, but then...YES, I do hear a ring! I follow it, and then suddenly it stops. I run back to the locate button again and then back to where I was, I follow...closer...closer...No, not in there...closer...Not there either...Where is that thing?

There for a minute I thought I was going crazy. I could hear something, couldn't I? But I had checked EVERYWHERE! I was on my hands and knees looking under some shelves in our family room when something caught my eye. It was the lit up buttons of the phone! Not under the shelves, but inside the sub-woofer speaker that sits next to the shelves. It was waaay back inside of the speaker. I tried turning the speaker over, but there were all sorts of wires that were in the way, and I was really afraid I was going to mess up something. Then I got a big spoon to try and fish it out, (I am nothing if not resourceful!) but as soon as I turned the speaker upright, the phone fell down farther inside, and completely out of sight.

So tonight after work, a kindergarten picnic, and t-ball practice, my dear hubby came home and took apart a sub-woofer. I'm sure it was just what he was looking forward to after a long hard day.

Well actually, knowing my husband, it probably was!

At least I know where all the phones are.

For now.

7 comments:

Alana said...

I think Richie or Will put a ball in our speaker once. I like the idea of an "Austin's Antic" series. I bet J really did enjoy taking apart the speaker...he and Austin are probably in cahoots ;-)

Josh and Lane Whitlock said...

Oh my Shell...that's is hilarious! And yes, I'm sure J loved taking it all apart, but yet how was Austin able to get it in and you couldn't get it out?!?! hehe!

Anonymous said...

It coulda been worse....

food or a partially full milk cup!

Janelle said...

I just love that boy!

Earen said...

Oh, you got to love it!

- Sarah :-) said...

That's too funny - I found your site because I also posted a blog titled "Austin's Antics", only mine was in reference to my puppy-dog, Austin. Seems it must come with the name!

Take Care!

Jamie said...

Shelley,
You need to record Austin's Antics for the time when he has 2 or 3 kids of his own and you can tell them stories about their daddy. My kids love those kind.