Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Little victories.

I'm just about back to normal. Which, of course, is a relative term.

I can hold a thought in my head for more than 10 seconds. I can make it through a day without a medicine cabinet full of drugs. My energy is almost all back. I'm feeling pretty good, which feels Great!

I felt good enough this morning to venture out to a shoe store with my two younger kids. Austin (we think) tossed one of his shoes out the window of our truck one day last week. We've looked around, and so far, no shoe. Since he only has 2 pair of shoes that fit, and at least one of those is usually dirty or wet (from dunking it in the dog's water bowl), I decided to find a replacement for his pair that's now missing a shoe.

The last time we ventured into this shoe store, I thought I was going to lose my mind. Austin was wild and crazy and quite loud, and I thought the sales lady was going to burn right through me with her angry stares. That was a couple of months ago, and while he's still far from an easy child, he has calmed down...a bit. So this morning I was hopeful that things might go a smidge better.

We were in the store for all of 3 minutes when he climbed out of his stroller. Oh no, I thought, here we go. He ran to the play table that Annie was at, and started to play with her. Well, maybe that will keep him occupied for a minute, but I doubt it. I quickly scanned the boxes for size 7 1/2 wide shoes. After a couple of minutes, they were still playing nicely. Um...okay, that's new. Since they were doing okay, and Austin wasn't running down the isles pulling boxes down yet, I took another few minutes to look more thoroughly. Soon I had a few pairs for him to try on. Here we go, now he's going to throw a fit because he doesn't want to stop playing. I sat on the floor, and pulled him into my lap. "SHOE!" He said, and grabbed the box from my hands. He played with the boxes while we tried on two pairs of shoes. When the second one was perfect, I let him up to walk around. He stomped his feet a couple of times, and then went right back to the play table. Wow! Really? It was that easy? He played nicely as I put the other shoes back, and we checked out and left the store as clean as it was when we arrived. The sales lady was super sweet as we walked out and wished me and my "two little helpers" a very nice day.

I am still amazed. We had a successful, easy, and happy shopping trip, with Austin!!! Miracles! Have we turned a corner, doubtful. Did we have a good day? Yes! My hope is that the hard trips will become fewer and the good trips will increase. Today gave me hope. He is getting easier, little by little. And while I'm still scared to put the Christmas decorations up (what will he do with all of that?!) I am thrilled with the little victory that was today.

6 comments:

Jamie said...

Shelley that's great news. I am glad you had a great shopping trip.

michelle said...

Maybe Elaina's clogging shoes went out the window also! We haven't been able to find them! Glad you had a happy shopping trip!!!

Janelle said...

Awesome! I love how real you are. Life is bumpy and you aren't afraid to share your war stories. I LOVE THAT ABOUT YOU.

Good job, Austin!

Josh and Lane Whitlock said...

Oh he's getting so big!! Growing up fast! Praise God for the small victories of shopping successes!

Alana said...

I hope you'll have more and more trips like that in the future!

Darlene R. said...

Yay! I am so happy for you. The easy trips will become more frequent, I just know it!

Way to be a big boy, Austin!